Preliminary Round videos due April 15
Final Live round held Memorial Day weekend
$25 per person entry fee
Click here for the Online Entry Form
Preparing for the Competition
- Begin the process as early in the school year as possible. September or October is ideal.
- Communicate with your ensemble and make sure everyone is committed to doing the work involved in preparing for competition.
- Pick repertoire that is challenging yet attainable. Be sure it falls within the Competition repertoire guidelines listed below.
- Pick a name for your ensemble. Do not name it after a school or community organization (for example: Coffeetown High School Quartet or Coffeetown Youth Orchestra Horn Trio)
- Set up regular 2-3 hour rehearsal times and places. The more regular the rehearsal schedule, the more your ensemble will end up rehearsing and the better you will get.
- Schedule coachings with teachers as often as possible. You will need to list a coach on your entry form that has worked with your ensemble at least 4 times.
- Take a group photo. If your ensemble advances to the Final Round this photo may be used for advertising purposes.
- Make several practice recordings well before the April 15 deadline. You will need practice setting up the video device properly so that the picture and the sound are as clear as possible. The quality of your recording will matter, so don’t leave it to the last minute!
If you are interested in entering the Competition but do not have enough players to fill out an ensemble or are having a hard time finding repertoire, or if you are a teacher who would like guidance helping your students form an ensemble, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help in any way we can.
Entering the Competition
- Check your ensemble’s eligibility.
- Record your Preliminary Round video (carefully review the recording guidelines listed below).
- Choose one person (student or parent) to act as the main contact.
- Fill out the online entry form.
- Submit your entry form, recording, and entry fee by April 15.
There is an entry fee of $25 per person to be submitted in one payment after completing the entry form. Entry fees can be paid via PayPal or check.
- If paying by PayPal, please write the name of your ensemble in the notes.
- If paying by check, please make it out to Franklin Pond Chamber Music, write the name of your ensemble on the check, and send it to 4835 Franklin Pond Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30342.
- One or two movements of a single piece, not to exceed a total of 15 minutes in length.
- Arrangements of music may be allowed in the Middle School division, but only with specific permission from Franklin Pond. There are no arrangements permitted in the High School division.
- Original compositions are allowed.
- Scores must be provided to Franklin Pond of all music played. Please send a score of only those movements your ensemble is performing.
- Email email@example.com if your group has any questions about the repertoire requirements.
- The introduction of the video must include (either by speaking to the camera or adding text to the screen):
- The name of your ensemble. Do not name it after a school or community organization (for example: Coffeetown High School Quartet or Coffeetown Youth Orchestra Horn Trio)
- Name, movement, and composer of the piece being performed.
- One complete take. No editing or cuts.
- The full ensemble must be shown at all times at an angle that clearly and fully demonstrates the position of the instruments.
- Record in the highest video and audio quality available to you.
- Upload your recording to YouTube and marked as “Unlisted”(not public or private). “Unlisted” means that only people who know the link to the video can view it. An unlisted video will not appear in any of YouTube’s public spaces.
- Paste the YouTube link into the entry form.